I’ve become a little obsessed with Babywearing. What is babywearing? It’s where you use some sort of cloth to hold your baby. There are many benefits for the baby such as bonding, resting/calming (pumpkin falls asleep almost instantly), and of course…giving you two free hands to do things. Last night I wore pumpkin and was able to cook dinner!
Babywearing is not easy unfortunately. Well it can be once you find the right carrier for you. That is what I’ll be exploring in the next few posts. The personal benefit to babywearing is that it really assists me with my inflammatory arthritis. There are some days (since that last flare up that I’m still dealing with), that I can barely lift pumpkin. The pain is so bad in my hands and wrists that it makes me cringe. I feel strongly that the right carrier will help me bond better with pumpkin. Mostly because I won’t be hesitant to have her close and I won’t associate pain with every time I need to lift her (what is happening now).
Over the next few posts in this series, I will take a look at a variety of wraps or wrap types. I sincerely encourage you to do this research while you are pregnant so you don’t have to buy multiple products. Because trust me….you will.
Here is some advice about where to find information:
- Friends! Ask friends if you can try out their carrier. Most likely they will have more than one.
- BabyWearing International – this link is to find a local support group, but on the site is a TON of information about babywearing including an overview on carriers.
- Facebook – I searched Facebook groups and found a few local babywearing groups. It’s always great to meet other moms and they encourage babywearing/hold sling clinics at events.
- Pump Station- They have free sling clinics and sell most carriers there. The people that assist with the clinics are incredibly knowledgable and can help you find the right carrier for what you are looking for.
- YouTube- I have searched for Moby Videos, and Ergobaby videos. Both have been incredibly helpful.
I hope you enjoy this series and that I can provide you some information you may not know. I’d also love to hear from you as to what carrier you love the most. I also would like to hear about how many carriers you own. ^_^ I have a feeling we all own a few.